Part 2-The West Coast

Selected Photos—Part 2

June 5, 1999
El Centro to Santa Maria
422.1 miles
1,776.5 miles to date

Alaska Motorcycle Trip 1999
Frozen in Southern Cali.

When I planned this adventure I wanted to ride up the coastal highway—a dream from early youth. Now I was living my dream. However, if I were to do this again I would not head out to San Diego. I would head directly to Santa Barbara and begin the coastal highway there. Too much stop and go traffic from San Diego north.

But there was spectacular scenary. The only problem was the cold. I did not expect California to be so cold in June. I recall having a real “wake-up” call in Santa Maria where I stopped for the night. This was going to be much more difficult than I had anticipated. I pulled out the map and began pouring over it. Let’s see, I still had much of California to complete, then all of Oregon and Washington, about equal to California in height, and then British Columbia, which appeared larger than California, and then the Yukon. Was Alaska even a possibility. Doubts crept in.

**************************************

June 6, 1999

Santa Maria to Petaluma
330.5 miles
2,107 miles to date

A freezing coastal run. I remember spectacular sights-that was never disappointing. But the cold! The Alaska plan was not looking like a very good idea at this point. Surely it was going to be colder in Canada, right?

But this was part of the life dream, to motorcycle up the coastal highway of California. I arrived in Pentaluma after a bit more than 300 miles. I could do no more. It was just too cold for me. That night I phoned home and told them I would probably be heading back tomorrow. In my mind I was hoping that I could route through Yosemite and salvage something from the trip.

I walked from my motel room to the central park area in Pentaluma. An old time dairy-queen-style take out was in the center of the park. I had a traditional American meal-cheesburger, fries and a chocolate shake. Perfect. The trip was looking better now.

Something happened during the night. I began to think that if I failed at this trip I would fail at many points in my life. I had to push on. Heck, people have walked to Alaska, pushing their possessions in a wheelbarrow. Surely I could get there in my motorcycle. I needed to do this.

**************************************

June 7, 1999
Petaluma to Gold Beach
384.3 miles
2,491.3 miles to date

In the morning I started out with renewed spirit and determination but was quickly brought back to reality with a cold, drizzly rain. I was soaked and freezing as I plowed Northward. At one point I began shaking violently. I began to pray, “Dear God, please let there be a Denny’s”. And as I crested the next hill there was a Denny’s. And it was truly a godsend. I remember everything about the breakfast, even the server Darby. It was a Grand Slam.

When I left the sun had broken through. I crossed into Oregon and the sky was a deep blue. I was no longer shivering from cold and Oregon was beautiful. Today was a breakthrough for me. I was going to continue North to Alaska.

**************************************

June 8, 1999
Gold Beach to Seaside
297.7 miles
2,789 miles to date

Alaska Motorcycle Trip 1999
On Highway 101 in Oregon.

Oregon saved the adventure for me. I remember deep blue skys and plenty of sunlight. The highway hugged the coast up to Washington State.

I passed by the beach area that my family visited when I was very young. We left Great Falls on a summer vacation to visit Disneyland in Anaheim. Maryilyn, Bob and I all played at a beach with the huge rocks. After 40 years I could still recognize the place.

All of Oregon was beautiful.

**************************************

June 9, 1999
Seaside to Abbotsford
393.6 miles
3,182.6 miles to date

Today was the day I crossed into Canada. This was monumental progress. All of British Columbia lay before me. I arrived in Abbotsford and found a Honda dealer to service my Night Hawk. Somewhere in Oregon I had picked up a nail and had to replace a tire.

Crossing into Washinton State I missed a turn in the road and found myself traveling north on a peninsula. You would have to reference a map to see what I am talking about. I had to backtrack to get back on the highway. I realized that the coastal run was done. I skirted Olympia and Seattle and crossed the border near Vancouver.

Texas was a long ways away. It was exciting to be in British Columbia and especially exciting to think that I might actually make it to the Yukon. That would be a coup.