Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon 1993
My first photo of the Grand Canyon.

In July of 1993 I arrived in Lincoln, Nebraska from Lima, Peru, and purchased a Honda Nighthawk. This was my only real motorcycle and this month was to be my fist road trip. It just so happened that at about the ½ way point I ran across the Grand Canyon. I had lived in Salt Lake City for about 12 years and for some reason my family never visited some of the National Parks in Utah or the Grand Canyon.

I recall parking near the Bright Angel Hotel and the startling view. The photo I’ve included  is my first photo of the Grand Canyon, looking down Bright Angel trail to Indian Garden (the green area) and then Plateau Point. Of course, at the time I took this photo I did not know these names or places but the view into the canyon was mesmerizing.

I decided to hike to Plateau Point, which seemed doable. I did not realize that it was 6 miles. On entering the canyon I encountered a number of warning signs every 100 feet or so. Each sign posed the question—do you have enough water?

I made it to the first rest point, 1½ miles into the canyon and realized that I needed a better plan if I was to get much further. Since I was only here for the afternoon I mentally noted that this was a very important place. And it was very important for me to explore it. I would start that exploration 9 years later in June, 2002, with my youngest daughter Sophi. I have visited the Grand Canyon at least once a year since that time. One year I paid 3 visits. Some visits I was with Hedy or one of the girls. Other visits I came alone.

I love this place. My intention is to describe each of the visits, in some detail if possible, before the vapor trail gets too wispy.

1. June, 2002 With Sophi, Grandview and Bright Angel Trails
  2. March, 2003 With Nataly, South Kaibob, Clear Creek, Bright Angel and Grandview Trails
  3. August, 2003 With Vivian, South Kaibob, Bright Angel Hermit and Grandview Trails
  4. December, 2003 With Grandma, Grandview Trail
  5. March, 2004 With Hedy, Hermit, Dripping Springs, Bright Angel trails, Ribbon Falls, and South Kaibob and Grandview Trails
  6. March, 2005 Hermit to Bright Angel loop, Plateau Point, Boucher Trail, Hermit Rapids, Dripping Springs
  7. March, 2006 South Bass Trail to Bass Beach, Serpentine and Ruby Canyons, Waldron Trail
  8. March, 2007 South Bass, Royal Arch Loop, Bass to Boucher Route
  9. March, 2008 With Sophi, Royal Arch Loop
  10. March, 2009 With Vivian, Cheyava Falls
  11. March, 2010 With Jesse, Royal Arch Loop
  12. March, 2011 with Vivian, New Hance Trail, Hance Creek, Grandview Trail
  13. March, 2012 with Sophia, Tanner Trail, Beamer Trail
  14. March 2013 with Vivian, Boucher Trail, Granite Rapids, Hermit Trail
  15. March 2014 with Josh and Nataly, Bright Angel Trail, South Kaibob Trail, Grandview Trail, Hermit Trail to Santa Maria Springs
  16. March 2015 with Vivian, Escalante Route (Tanner Trail, New Hance Trail)
  17. April 2016 Grandview Point to South Kaibob Trailhead
  18. April 2017 Cape Solitude
  19. October 2022 Colter’s Rest