Posted on

April 2017 Cape Solitude

Government Canyon
My best friend Colter.

April 18 and 19 (2017) I completed a Grand Canyon hike to Cape Solitude, a unique viewpoint of the confluence of the Colorado and Little Colorado Rivers.

Selected photos

I hiked this trail with my Australian Cattle Dog, Colter. I have always wanted to hike in the Grand Canyon with Colter but dogs are not allowed below the rim.  This was a mesa hike and we were unlikely to encounter other hikers. It was a perfect way to hike with my dog in the Grand Canyon.

On paper the hike doesn’t look bad. The problem though is water. There is absolutely no water to be found on the 15 miles to Cape Solitude.

None.

So, right from the start we were managing water.

Here is a Google image with our GPS tracks of the hike.

CapeSolitude4

When I first saw this hike it intrigued me. It looked like it might be completed in a single day. But, as I researched it I had to reconsider that idea. My goal was to hike with my dog, explore the mesa a bit, and get some photos of the confluence in the evening and morning hours. And I also knew from previous hikes that I seem to overestimate my hiking prowess. A voice in my head told me to tone it down. So that’s how Colter and I approached this hike—a two day photographic adventure.

For details of the hike please see the Cape Solitude page.