Part 5-Return through Canada

Selected Photos—Part 5

I crossed the Alaska-Yukon border on June 18, 1999 and that marks the beginning of the fifth stage of my journey.

June 18, 1999
Tok to Carmacks (Yukon)
411.1 miles
6,737.7 miles to date

Alaska Motorcycle Trip 1999
Dawson, Yukon. Yukon Highway 9 (Top of the World Highway).

This day was a memorable day. In the morning I parted ways with Fuz and Art and headed out on the Taylor Highway towards Chicken. At Chicken I continued on the “Top of the World Highway” to Dawson. It was about 4 miles before the Yukon border where I had a bit of an adventure that is a bit embarrassing to blog about. I had pulled over to the side to photograph some wildflowers and didn’t put the kickstand down on my motorcycle and over she went. It was on a bit of a slope, soft dirt, and it was very difficult to get upright. Once I did, it wouldn’t start. So, here I was, stuck in the furthest boondocks you can imagine. Fortunately, after a few minutes, the cycle started up.

The scenary was incredible and the weather was warm and the sky was blue. It was a beautiful day to be out on a motorcycle. I crossed the Alaska-Yukon border (a couple of trailers actually), and immediately upon entering the Yukon a large brown bear came tearing down a hillside and crossed in front of me. Welcome back to the Yukon!

The entry into Dawson is awesome as you get a great view of the town and the Yukon River. I really wanted to pass through Dawson as I read many stories about this town, especially those of Jack London and James Michener. Dawson was surrounded by a smattering of forest fires and the air smelled heavy of burning wood.

I continued on to Five Fingers Rapids and then to Carmacks. A wonderful day on the cycle.

**************************************

June 19, 1999
Carmacks to Teslin
228 miles
6.965.7 miles to date

This day was a wet one. I passed through Whitehorse and when I hit Teslin and pulled into the first motel I could find. I remember the dining room had excellent Chinese food-sweet and sour ribs, and midway through my meal a large group of young folks (rowdy) entered the dining area and tried to talk the manager into opening the TV room. It seems the Stanley Cup was on and they were huge fans. But they left disappointed.

It rained the rest of the day. I was thankful to have a warm room and a chance to get plenty of rest.

**************************************

June 20, 1999
Teslin to Fort Nelson
465.2 miles
7,430.9 miles to date

The melancholy continues. Leaving Alaska, Art and Fuz was tough. I could see the adventure begin to wind down. Yet I did feel empowered, that I did persevere and actually make it to the Arctic Circle, if not the Ocean.

The route continued along the Liard River on the Alaska Highway. Buffalo and several bears spotted along the way.

**************************************

June 21, 1999
Fort Nelson to Grand Prairie
364.4 miles
7,795.3 miles to date

At Dawson Creek I crossed the Mile Zero marker for the Alaska Highway. I stopped at a food store and was in the parking lot when a young couple pulled up beside me. I was in the process of abandoning my spare gas can and asked if they wanted it. They refused to take it, and insisted paying full price for it (the price tag was still on it). They were so nice.

Shortly, I crossed into Alberta. I always remember British Columbia because of its beauty and wildlife. I hope to return again someday.

**************************************

June 21, 1999
Grand Prairie to Calgary
500.6 miles
8,295.9 miles to date

Alaska Motorcycle Trip 1999
Giant red indian paintbrush (Castilleja miniata), Jasper National Park, Alberta.

Today was a wonderful day to be riding a motorcycle. I entered the Icefield Parkway, the weather was beautiful and wildlife was everywhere—especially Elk, Mountain Goats, and Mountain Sheep.

I had lunch near the Athabasca Path and captured this photo of Indian Paintbrush, one of my favorites.

**************************************

June 23, 1999
Calgary to Moose Jaw
439.6 miles
8,735.5 miles to date

I was excited to have a chance to pass through, and even stay overnight, Moose Jaw. That is a very cool name for a village.

Saskatchewan was absolutely beautiful with its deep blue sky and green rolling fields. Unfortunately, at this point my trip had become one of positioning myself for a dive down to Texas and I was only able to pass through the southern part of this beautiful province.