March 2005-Hermit to Bright Angel

Hermit to Bright Angel loop, Plateau Point, Boucher Trail, Hermit Rapids, Dripping Springs

During Spring break of 2005 I began to expand my horizons regarding the Grand Canyon. This would be my first overnight camping expedition. It was also my first time solo hiking. Fortunately I found some notes I had taken for this trek and they were quite useful in identifying photos and jogging my memory. Here’s what I did—

On Saturday, March 12 I hiked down the Hermit Trail. For the first time I descended the trail past Santa Maria Spring. My campsite was at Cedar Spring. March 13 I continued along the Tonto Trail to Indian Garden and then out the Bright Angel Trail.

March 14 I took a day hike to Cedar Ridge. On the way back to my car I passed through the Bright Angel Lodge area and ran into Doug Shudde and his family at the overlook. They had just arrived and were quite surprised to see me. He was going to be hiking into Phantom Ranch the following day with his parents and youngest daughter.

Grand Canyon 2005
On the Tonto Trail East between Bright Angel Trail and Pipe Spring.

March 15 was another day hike, further exploring the Tonto Trail. About 5:30 AM I began my way down the Bright Angel Trail and hiked to Plateau Point. At the point were several condors just hanging around. I continued along the Tonto Trail to the South Kaibab Trail and then hiked out.

March 16 was spent getting another permit. I was able to get an overnight permit for Hermit Rapids. I planned a loop trip of Boucher Trail to Hermit Rapids and then out the Hermit Trail. For the rest of the day I took some view shots of the Grand Canyon from the Rim down to the Tonto Trail that I had just hiked.

March 17 I hiked down the Hermit Trail and cached a Snicker Bar and Coke for my planned hike out that trail on the 19th. On my way out I had a fancy idea of taking a side trip to Dripping Springs. When I reached Dripping Springs I decided to follow the path out the back side which was marked by a series of cairns. I didn’t realize that when I reached the top that the roads were closed and I had to trek across the plateau to the overlook point at the Abyss where I caught the shuttle to Hermits Rest. I also realized that I needed to invest in some good hiking maps. Fortunately I was able to navigate across the mesa from Dripping Springs to the Abyss using a map that my shuttle driver kindly gave to me.

March 18 and 19 was a dip down the Boucher Trail and across to Hermit Rapids. I stayed at Hermit Rapids and the following day hiked out the Hermit Trail.

Related Photos