August 2003-Phantom Ranch

With Vivian, South Kaibob, Bright Angel, Hermit, and Grandview Trails

Grand Canyon 2003 August
Phantom Ranch as viewed from Yavapai Point on the South Rim. Look for the green trees in the center of the photo.

Vivian (oldest of three daughters) and I did this trip together. We were able to get space at Phantom Ranch and duplicated the hike that Nata did. That is, down the Kaibob (about 7 ½ miles) and up the Bright Angel (about 9½ miles).

Vivian quickly left me behind. I last saw her at Cedar Ridge, about 1½ miles down the Kaibob. As it turned out, when I reached the Cantina at Phantom Ranch, Vivian was suffering from blisters on her left heel. This was unfortunate as we did no practice hike to check our new equipment and now had to pay the price. I spent some time behind the cantina going through a pile of abandoned shoes, looking for something that Vivian might be able to use. Nothing.

The next morning Vivian opted to walk out, although we did have an option to stay an additional night in the canyon. From Phantom Ranch to where the Bright Angel meets the Colorado is a gentle 1½ mile hike. But at that junction something had to be done to alleviate the pain in Vivian’s foot. I used my Swiss army knife to cut out the back of her shoe and she was then able to hobble her way out of the canyon. Still, we were out by 4:00 in the afternoon, none the worse for wear.

While Vivian hung around Tuscayan I explored the Hermit Trail just a bit, by hiking down to Santa Maria Spring. That turned out to be a fine day hike. I remember sitting in the rest hut at Santa Maria Spring with two young fellows from Norway. They were inquiring about the hike down to the Colorado from where we were and of course I had no experience to share with them. They only had a tiny bit of water although there was a drip at the Springs. The following day I revisited for the third time the Grandview Trail, hiking out to the overlook point.

On the return trip to Phoenix, Vivian and I stopped in Sedona and had a jeep trip into the Red Rock area. The jeep trip took us into the environs of Sedona and was quite entertaining. The scenary in that area is spectacular.

Some selected photos from our trip.