Posted on

Moving forward…

I have missed two weekends since the beginning of the year. What I mean to say is, I missed hiking in Government Canyon two weekends—the first being Nata’s wedding and then the next was the following weekend when we were experiencing very cold, rainy weather here in San Antonio.

Today it was quite nice but unfortunately I did not have my camera with me. Up the Johnstone Trail around 18 or so is a large, crystaline pond. Water is flowing into it-unheard of in Goverment Canyon. The water is crystal clear. I would not hesitate to drink from it. I was doing a large looped trail—Johnstone > Sendero Balcones > Black Hill (about 6 miles to this point) > follow Black Hill from 41 to 8 to Twin Oaks > another piece of Sendero (markers 11 to 8) > Wildcat Canyon > and then take Johnstone back in to the parking lot. The hike was about 12.8 miles. This was the reverse of the hike I did last week.

I purchased new hiking shoes at Goode Sport yesterday and this was a breaking in period. No problem, very comfortable. Should be set for the Royal Arch coming up next month.

Here’s a photo of Government Canyon that I took on New Years day.

Government Canyon
Spanish moss (Tillandsia usneoides), on the Joe Johnston Route in Government Canyon.