Posted on

The last video…

OK. Finally I finished previewing the final video of the hidden box of 20 8mm videos that have been stored in a closet at our San Antonio house for more than 25 years. This final video is a bit anti-climatic as the tape has under 30 minutes (2 hour tape) of recorded video. Here is a quick index

[00:00:20] December 23, 1995 Holmes Lake ice skating

[00:04:35] Christmas Eve, 1995, Lincoln, Nebraska.

[00:11:55] December 27, 1995, Holmes Lake.

[00:18:35] December 31, 1995, San Antonio. Pool inauguration.

[00:20:50] February 3, 1996, Isha

[00:22:42] Februaray 3, 1996, Collaborative video featuring Sophi, Nataly, Vivian, clowning around at Crested Quail house.

This was the last video we have from this camera being used. I’m not sure why. Did we lose interest? I have no idea what happened to that video camera. Here is a clip from video 20 (pool inauguration}—

Some things I learned about filming family that I want to pass along—

• Don’t film everything. Some things are better remembered with still photos. For example Christmas day. Don’t miss out on the holiday because you are trying to record it for history but then never watch it.
  • Don’t film entire concerts or award assemblies-boring. Still photos work better.
  • Let the kids film.
  • Capture your pets on film. Always fun to remember them.
  • Interview family members. Have them talk about their day, event, award, whatever. This could be the most important memory you can record. The video of Grandpa Victor and family in Peru was greatly appreciated.

Most of us have a phone that will take excellent pictures and video. In any event, a number of events were recorded on the 20 tapes that are valuable to our family. Remember that Sophia, Nataly, and Vivian each have a flash drive with all 20 videos. If you should lose the drive you can always get a copy from each other or from me.

To continue my project I will now work on all the photos and slides we have. This could be a bit time consuming. I might be contacting you to fill in some blanks!