Posted on

Tanner Trail Prep

It’s been some time since I’ve posted and that is due entirely to a severe computer crash, external hard drive crash, and general lack of access at home. I am updating this post from my wife’s HP. When I return from this Grand Canyon adventure (Tanner-Beamer Trail) I plan to buy a new MacBook and get back online as normal.

This Grand Canyon trip for Spring break 2012 will certainly be an exciting one and it will be a challenge, no doubt about it. Sophi and I will arrive in Phoenix about 2:00 PM and drive to the South Rim. We will stay at the Red Feather Lodge and will make preparations for an early start Sunday morning down the Tanner Trail. The plan is to hike down to the beach on the first day. The second day will be our shortest as we will poise ourselves to set up a second camp near Lava Canyon Rapids. According to our guidebook that is the last suitable campsite on the Beamer. The area near the Little Colorado, our ultimate destination, is restricted. The third day will be our longest as we will hike from Lava Canyon Rapids to the Little Colorado and then return to our camp. The fourth night we will find a suitable campsite on the Tanner Trail heading out. That will leave us with an easier hike out on the final day. We have an extra day assigned to give us a bit of wiggle room but I don’t think we will need it.

I hope to borrow Hedy’s camera. This should provide us with some stunning views of the canyon. It’s great that Sophi can join me for this hike as she is very good in the canyon.