Posted on

13c

…continuing with our long Family History theme and the 20 resurrected 8mm tapes found in our closet…

This next video was taken March 29, 1992. It is filmed in Parque Chavin which is about 1/2 block from our beloved house in Lima, Peru. A lot of construction has been going on in Parque Chavin, trees being planted, the area getting a massive makeover. Today March 4, 2023 the trees and shrubbery cover much of the park. Very beautiful park. Most of the park is surrounded by residences. As Vivian peddles around the park a large light blue government building appears in the background—Superintendencia Nacional de Educación Superior Universitaria (SUNEDU). A street vendor blowing his/her horn is a common background noise that one tends to turn off as it is prevalent most days. Sort of a mournful sound but it brings back the memory and flavor of our situation in Peru at this time. We loved it.

The following video was filmed a few days before Christmas, 1992, at our home in Lima.

The story goes that this blue bulb was hung on my father’s tree when he was a boy in Dwight, Illinois. Somehow it wound up with my family here in Lima. My sister Marilyn and I would fight to have the distinct honor of hanging it. My brother Bob was too little to know what was going on. So, this blue bulb is probably over 70 years old and survived many battles at the time this was filmed (1992).

On another note, wanting to be transparent, it grieves me to report that the blue bulb is no longer with us. It was broken when taken from storage at a future Christmas. I’m sorry Marilyn, that we were poor custodians of this heirloom.