Posted on

Four more hikes

I realized, in anticipation of the upcoming hike on the AT, that I have a few key hikes left to complete two major hiking milestones in my life. One major milestone  is the completion of the Appalachian Trail and another that I have not been consciously working toward, would be the completion of all hikes on the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Here’s how I hope it plays out—

Hike 1: June-July, 2014, 11th section of the AT. I am currently at the summit of Mount Washington and should set off June 26, 2014. I will hike as far into Maine as I can manage, understanding that the situation is much more difficult than in previous sections. The hiking last year was hard fought and I expect more of the same the final two years.

Hike 2: March 2015. I plan to do the Escalante Route with Vivian. I had hoped to do this in 2012 but was not able to get the permits. This will be a challenging hike and I’ve asked Vivian to join me for this as it involves some route finding and common sense. This is not a hike I would want to do alone.

Hike 3: July, 2015. This should be the final section of the AT to Katahdyn. I’m hoping the milage will be low based on the 11th section endeavor. Certainly this could be an emotional moment in my life.

Hike 4: March 2016. The final gap for the south rim trails is the Tonto Trail from Horseshoe Mesa to the South Kaibab. This is a contour run along the Tanto plateau with a stiff hike out the South Kaibab. The completion of this hike will fill all blanks on my South Rim map. And, most of the trails I have hiked multiple times, i.e. The Royal Arch Loop 3 times, Bright Angel and South Kaibab 5 times, Hermit Trail 3 times, Grandview Trail 6 times, South Bass Trail 2 times.

Right now my mental and physical preparation is for the Whites and Maine. I am really looking forward to this one. Hedy and I plan to fly into Portland, Maine, rent a car, and headquarter somewhere near the border where the AT crosses, probably on the Maine side.

I continue to hike in Government canyon on weekends.